Construction Safety Officer (CSO) – Pickering, ON
Are you ready for change, challenge, and opportunity, and are you a strategic thinker yet comfortable rolling up your sleeves? And do you enjoy connecting with all disciplines of general construction?
VanMar Constructors Inc. is a well-established, and highly respected design-build General Contractor specializing in multi-residential, high rise, mid rise, institutional and mixed-use projects. As a growing company, we’re looking to give the right individual an opportunity to excel within our organization.
We are seeking a diligent, confident and dependable Construction Safety Officer to join our Ontario team and contribute to our success.
As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for ensuring all safety legislation is adopted on site, enforcing policies and procedures as well as planning, training, monitoring, and reviewing the protective and preventative measures required by the Occupational Health & Safety Act, its Regulations and WSIB requirements. You will work closely with the Site Superintendent to minimize operational losses, occupational health and safety concerns, incidents and injuries.
- Have passion for Occupational Health & Safety
- Strong communication and relationship building skills
- Outgoing and approachable personality
- Have the ability to prioritize, organize, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Support the development of site specific OHS policies and programs
- Conduct work area inspections to ensure equipment, materials, and processes do not present a safety, health or environmental hazard
- Conduct site specific Health & Safety Orientations
- Assist site management and employees with safety programs, participation and compliance
- Advise and instruct on various safety-related topics (noise levels, use of machinery etc.)
- Conduct risk assessments and enforce preventative measures
- Review existing policies and measures and update according to legislation
- Inspect premises and the work of personnel to identify issues or non-conformity (e.g. not using protective equipment)
- Stop any unsafe acts or processes that seem dangerous or unhealthy
- Investigate and document injuries to determine root causes and implement controls
- Assist in the incident investigation process when necessary and be prepared to be involved in the preparation of reports and summaries
- Maintain and track all recordable statistics, training requirements for project specific needs
- Attend applicable safety meetings including toolbox talks where required
- Assist with the development and review of job hazard assessments (JHA), Safe Work Practices (SWP) and Safe Job Procedures (SJP)
- 3+ years of general construction experience
- 5+ years of Health and Safety work experience in the construction industry
- A solid understanding of the OH&S regulations for the province of Ontario
- Motivated to obtain or currently working towards NCSO Certification
- Completion of a degree/diploma of an accredited Certificate program in Occupational Health and Safety would be an asset
- Current First Aid certificate
- Proficiency with computers, including MS Word, Excel, Outlook and other common applications
- Additional training including WAH, WHMIS, Health and Safety Awareness Training.
- Bobcat/mobile equipment operation, would be an asset
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to engage with a diverse range of staff, skill sets and personalities
- Confident ability to diffuse challenging situations
- Self-motivation, taking initiative to make improvements while striving to perform outside of job description
As a reputable company, integrity, trust and commitment drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, VanMar is the type of company where you can balance great work and great life. It doesn’t matter if you are right out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits and we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do. VanMar provides:
- Excellent Compensation, salary will be commensurate with experience ($60,000- $85,000)
- Comprehensive Health Coverage for you and your family
- Paid Vacation
- Performance Structured Bonus Plan
- Employee Referral Rewards
- Continuing Education Funding for Career Development and Growth
- Compensated Travel
- Health and Wellness
- Company Events
- Medical Conscience Rights
VanMar is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibilities for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you are contacted for an interview, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.Submit your resume by email