Assistant Superintendent – Finishing – Kitchener, ON
VanMar Constructors Inc. is a well-established, and highly respected design-build General Contractor specializing in multi-residential, high rise, mid rise, institutional and mixed-use projects. As a growing company, we’re looking to give the right individual an opportunity to excel within our organization.
We are seeking an Assistant Superintendent - Finishing to contribute and support the success of a project in the Kitchener area.
This is an exciting opportunity to make a real impact! While working on a dynamic team of construction experts, you will be reporting to the site Superintendent and expected to perform duties with minimal supervision and a high degree of initiative, following high level guidance and intent.
- Administers the Quality Management Plan utilizing Procore software to conduct drywall boarding checks, drywall beading checks, taping checks, painting quality reviews, finish carpentry reviews, and tile & flooring reviews.
- Conducts all inspections utilizing the Pre & Post QMP Checklists posted on Procore.
- Utilizes the VanMar QMP Deficiency Inspections Process as a guideline for conducting the inspections.
- Ensures quality in accordance with the Quality Management Plan, Superintendent’s Manual, project specifications and drawings, and as per the Superintendent’s direction.
- Completes and files QMP Checklists at every stage in accordance with the Quality Management Plan to ensure dimensional accuracy and quality workmanship.
- Enforces acceptable standards of workmanship through every stage of the work.
- Responsible for ensuring work is being carried out in accordance with the quality standards noted in the specifications and drawings, as well as, relevant shop drawings and submittals.
- Creates deficiency lists resulting from the detailed inspections and may work with the assistant superintendent to distribute to trades and manage the ongoing timely correction of work to an acceptable level of quality.
- Identifies challenges with trades as it relates to noncompliance with the QMP process and escalates to the Assistant Superintendent or Superintendent.
- Documents poor trade response, poor trade performance, and noncompliance, as well as, any time spent conducting re-inspections or VanMar completion of work with respect to same and escalates to Superintendent and Project Manager.
- Ensures finishes are protected by trades or VanMar staff immediately after installation in accordance with VanMar’s Finish Protection Protocol.
- Monitors the installation of all suite finish upgrades and accountable for all finishes (colours and products) installed as per the selection sheets.
- Assists in the Project Closeout/PDI Process as outlined in VanMar’s Project Closeout Protocol.
- Carpenters ticket or trade-based certification is preferred.
- 8+ years of experience in the general construction industry with extensive experience in project execution in multi-residential, mid-rise, and high-rise residential projects.
- 6+ years of experience of relevant construction experience.
- An industry recognized degree equivalent to a 3-year diploma in construction technology, a professional designation or an equivalent in combination of education/experience.
- A valid Ontario driver’s license.
- Ability to read and understand drawings from all design principles.
- Ability to understand technical specifications and standards.
- Understanding of scheduling – task duration, sequence and methodology of building.
- Ability to create schedules.
- Understanding of applicable quality standards and a detailed/practical approach to Quality Management and Quality Control.
- Ability to layout for structure, mechanical, electrical, rough-in, etc.
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office, MS Project, Bluebeam, CAD, Procore.
- Knowledge of Environmental & H&S Legislation and the ability to enforce safety on-site.
- Knowledge of construction tradespeople capabilities and equipment usage.
- Proficiency in construction site ‘best practices’.
- Demonstrated proficiency in interacting directly with customers, third party engineering consultants, trades, etc.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Good communication skills – written and oral
- $75,000 – $90,000 annually
VanMar Constructors is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to recruit and select applicants for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications with emphasis on selecting the best-qualified person for the job.
If you are contacted for an interview, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.Submit your resume by email