Preconstruction Manager – Cambridge, ON
We are growing and looking to add a Preconstruction Project Manager to our dynamic team of professionals at our Head Office located in Cambridge, ON.
As the successful candidate, you will be reporting to the Preconstruction Director, and will be responsible for applying Preconstruction Department processes to projects for which VanMar has been engaged in. The Preconstruction Manager will apply project management skills through the preconstruction project delivery process to produce high-quality sets of project documents for use by the Construction team. This position collaborates with a wide range of internal and external teams, particularly Estimating and BIM departments. This position requires some travel to attend off-site meetings as required.
- Applies preconstruction procedures for the preconstruction projects assigned including the Project Delivery Roadmap, the Project Delivery Tracking Sheet, and Project Filing Protocol.
- With the assistance of the Preconstruction Coordinator, organizes all project documentation (i.e. Drawings, specifications, reports, etc.) through Procore and internal server document management.
- Schedules, coordinates, and runs design coordination and preconstruction meetings with relevant parties for the preconstruction projects assigned to them. Reviews meeting minutes taken by the Preconstruction Coordinator and subsequently follows up on all task-oriented items from same.
- Prepares meeting agendas for design meetings; referring to draft meeting agendas. Review key milestone meeting agendas with the Director of Preconstruction.
- With the assistance of the Preconstruction Coordinator, maintains all project contact lists in Outlook and Procore for the preconstruction projects assigned to them.
- Prepares monthly project reports for the Director of Preconstruction’s review.
- Facilitates drawing reviews at each design stage and on an ongoing basis by using template Design Review Checklists and Bluebeam Studio Sessions to enable the drawing reviewers to provide direction to the design team regarding constructability as well as quality, economics, and coordination of design.
- Ensures drawings are properly coordinated between design disciplines.
- Assists in tracking issues that arise out of each design review, including comments and coordination issues between design disciplines. Assists in escalating errors and omissions appropriately for resolution.
- Assists in the comprehensive review of all project reports (architectural specifications, hardware schedules, window and door schedules, room finish schedules), technical shop drawings, slab edge drawings, building envelopes, design drawings, etc.
- Assists the Director of Preconstruction in addressing technical questions raised by our design consultants, incorporating feedback from site staff into future project design, and developing typical design details, assemblies, and drawing schedules.
- Liaise/collaborate with Estimating department, Superintendents, and Project Managers as required.
- Assists the Director of Preconstruction with the ongoing identification and implementation of process improvements (feedback from Superintendents and Project Managers can be useful).
- Obtains traffic plans as required for the preconstruction projects assigned.
- Gathers information to assist in planning the nature and extent of all necessary construction
facilities locations of tower crane and crane swing, location of man hoist, etc.
- Prepares for any lane closures, sidewalk rentals, hoarding permits, etc. and other agreements
that may be required with the City.
- Estimating Department Collaboration
- Organizes and renames drawings for use in Bid Packages.
- Coordinates upgrade pricing and presents in the appropriate format to the Owner’s team for use in selling upgrades to end users.
- BIM Department Collaboration
- Reviews the BIM Execution Plan for each project assigned.
- Gathers information to assist the BIM Manager in the creation of Construction Management Plans, traffic plans, and site logistics.
- Gathers information for the BIM Department to assist in Revit reviews where necessary through the Design Process.
- 3+ years of experience in midrise and high-rise construction.
- 3+ years of design experience in midrise and high-rise construction.
- An industry recognized degree or equivalent to a 3-year diploma in Architect/Structural Engineering or Architectural Technologist, a Professional Designation, or an equivalent combination of education/experience.
- Previous supervisory or managerial experience is an asset.
- Solid experience in reviewing and coordinating design between various design disciplines.
- Demonstrated proficiency in design documentation completion including applicable sections,
specifications, and schedules.
- Solid understanding of building design cost drivers.
- Good understanding of midrise and high-rise residential design.
- Proficient in AutoCAD and Revit.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office.
- Proven ability to conduct business in a professional and ethical manner.
- Organizational skills and the ability to be flexible in managing changing priorities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
VanMar provides excellent benefits and compensation commensurate with experience.
VanMar is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibilities for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you are contacted for an interview, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.Submit your resume by email